the Michael Pages

MySpace

Friday, December 24, 2004

Somehow, I'm feeling more festive this year than others of the past. And whats most uplifting about this is that this feeling I'm getting isn't of the over-commercialized holidays that we get so much of nowadays. Its of what these holidays were actually and traditionally meant to be. That probably made no sense to you whatsoever, but I'm not going to spend time trying to clear it up. But check this out:

These past two days me and a few other people from orchestra have been setting ourselves up into a small string ensemble on the sidewalk on Christmas Card Lane (that neighborhood in PQ that organizes to have every house put up hardcore decorations for the holidays). Its always been a family tradition for me to drive around that area this time of year to take in the sight of the lights and share in the joy of the holiday season that everyone around there has. But this has been the first year that I've actually been part of the "act."

We basically just sat there next to a bonfire, playing our music, taking cookie and cider breaks, letting people enjoy our music, and accepting donations. We decided all money made would go to charity (about $270 in total for 6 hours). While playing there and watching the purest of children come by and be taken in awe to all the lights and sounds, I realized that I was having an extremely fun time doing what I love to do. We were basically emulating the oldschool tradition of caroling, and fitting it to our style. It made me realize that this is truly what Christmas feels like. Its a feeling that I can't say I've had before in the past. And now that I think about, I'm not sure I can even put that feeling into words. Its just so awesome.

I'd really like that thank the people that I shared this experience with. And this year, I can truly say "Merry Christmas" from the bottom of my heart, I can mean it, and I know exactly why I am saying it.

Happy holidays, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home